13 Manners Tips You Can Teach Your Children From Mary Poppins Returns
Manners and Lessons To Teach from Mary Poppins Returns, The Movie: Run don’t walk to see Mary Poppins Returns! If you are interested in teaching manners to your children or students, this movie is for you.
There are endless opportunities to show your children during the film on how using good manners is easy and fun. Besides, this is one of the best movies of the year!
Emily Blunt is amazing as Mary Poppins….not to mention the music and the dancing. Of course, the children are charming.
1. Never Ask an Adult Their Age: Mary Poppins does not age. The children ask her how old she is and of course she is appalled.
2. Dress Appropriately and Bathe for the Occasion: The film is based at the turn of the century in London. The costumes are amazing. Even though this is a movie, you can point out how important it is to dress the part. Sweat pants have their time and place in our lives but most occasions in our daily lives call for a bit more of a dress code.
3. Realize When it is Time for Outside Assistance: Let’s face it, life is busy. Is it time to reduce the amount of extracurricular activities or hire a tutor so that you are not frazzled and cranky?
4. Sack of Tricks: Remember Mary Poppins bag? Well, it is back and during the movie she pulls all sorts of tricks out of it. Do you have a sack of entertainment for your children that is entertaining other than their tablet or phone?
5. Use Your Imagination: What can you put in your sack that might be something to help them use their imagination? How about a fun game that promotes conversation skills with their siblings or friends?
6. Spit Spot: This might seem a bit old fashioned, but do your children have CHORES! Can you make folding laundry and putting it away a game? Get them involved in meal prep and teach table manners at the same time. All of these chores are teaching basic life skills.
7.Use “May I”: The dialogue during the movie is great opportunity for your children to see and hear how to show respect to adults with the way they speak and use grammar. This will make parents and English teachers glow after watching the film.
8. Use Complete Sentences: Time and time again, parents ask me to emphasize how it is not polite to use a one-word sentence.
9. How much do you weigh Mary Poppins: No explanation necessary on this one!
10. One Piece of Candy from the Jar: In one scene, the children visit their father at the bank (he works there). The receptionist, offers a jar of candy. The children reach in and each take one. Teach your children to take one, and say “thank you”.
11. Don’t Focus on Where You Have Been but Where You Are Going: We can have little effect on what has occurred but so much effect on future results with a great attitude.
12. Enjoy YOUR ChildLike Essence with Your Children: Even in the face of adversity, a laugh, a smile and a song can make a world of difference.
13. No Where to Go but Up: With video games, questionable movies and tough events going on in our world, a little inspiration from this movie can go along way. Happiness and joy are a choice. The movie reminds of us this.
Most likely we already share something in common. We believe that teaching children manners, character and social emotional skills are very important.
Manners To Go™ is taught in public, private and charter schools around the world. The New York Times, Parents Magazine and Fox News have all featured Manners To Go and the many benefits of teaching social skills to children.
Whether you are an educator who wants to teach it in the classroom or someone who is looking to become trained and certified, we provide all the solutions.
My name is Lisa Richey, and I am the founder of Manners To Go™ . This brand has given me the honor of teaching manners to thousands of people around the world. The journey has taken me from Portland, Oregon to the Middle East. I believe that manners are not about judgment or rules.Manners are about self-interest. It really is about how using good manners makes you feel on the inside.
Manners To Go™ is a full-service company for those choosing to teach manners to children. You can make a difference. All children and teenagers deserve to feel what it is like to be confident, and use good manners out in the world.
Contact Us about our certification program, lesson plans for educators and school assemblies. We have licensees around the world. Manners To Go will put you in touch with an etiquette expert that is trained and certified to teach our curriculum to your students.
CLICK EACH LINK BELOW TO LEARN MORE
Testimonials for Manners To Go
Lisa is a great mentor and her Manners to Go program is truly turn key. She taught me everything that I needed to learn to ensure that I will be successful in my endeavor . The program has been very helpful every step of the way. I feel truly blessed that I am part of her team. ~ Rita Linda Dayrit
Philippines Etiquette Consultant, 2018, Manners and Mindfulness
Lisa is a consummate professional and has been an invaluable resource to me as I begin my new business. Not only is she warm and welcoming in person, she is also an expert in her field who makes the subject matter relatable and accessible to her clients. Her training has provided me with a vast knowledge of etiquette and best practices for teaching it.
As an international business operator, I have been impressed with Lisa’s curiosity and questions, which enabled her to advise me and apply her product in a new region for a new audience. Her knowledge of marketing enabled me to hit the ground running and hold my first classes within weeks of becoming certified. Not only have I opened my own business but I have also gained a teammate who is committed to my success. ~ Jenni F., Macau, China
Lisa Richey’s Manners To Go certification program provides a highly efficient and effective training program for anyone considering starting a manners and etiquette business. I selected her program because of the virtual delivery method of training. The lesson plans and student handouts were easy to download and review before engaging in her one-on-one conference calls. During each call, Mrs. Richey was very focused in conveying her business strategies she has proven to be successful over the years. Mrs. Richey’s Manners To Go certification program is really a “best value” program considering her efficient use of the virtual delivery method of training, the quality of teaching materials provided and the effective, interactive business calls with her I found necessary to guide my steps to make the business of teaching manners successful. ~ Aleta Greenspan, Alabama
As a former teacher, I deliberated for months over which etiquette curriculum would best fit and equip me with quality materials, instruction and support to reenter the field of education. Manners To Go delivers! I regret not getting started sooner. The investment is modest for the quantity and caliber of materials you receive, not to mention the personal coaching from Lisa. The curriculum is age appropriately structured and organized in an easy to study format that positions you to execute your lesson confidently prepared. If you have a passion for equipping young people in etiquette, Manners To Go, is the way to go! ~ Alissa R. | Etiquette Consultant, 2016
I was looking for charm school type material for my after school program for girls, and came upon the Manners To Go website. It was like finding a treasure trove of “what-to-do(s)” and “how-to-do(s)” on manners for children. It was more that I could have imagined finding. It is, without a doubt, one of the best decisions I have ever made.
In receiving my MTG training, Lisa provided every tool and resource needed to become a successful MTG Consultant. What excited me the most is that the training includes access to her many years of experience as a successful businesswoman.
I recommend the MTG program to parents, grandparents, teachers, after school programs, or anyone who may be concerned about what our children need know about manners and etiquette. Lisa’s Manners To Go is a great product, and it is a joy working with her! ~ Lindafaye N. Etiquette Consultant, 2015
Lisa, I am so happy I found you. I’ve wanted to teach kids etiquette for years, but never had the time to research all the material and then figure out how to teach it. With your Manners To Go program, I now have the perfect program to start my business. You delivered exactly what you promised: excellent support and a turnkey system. Thank you for making it easy and fun! It was truly an honor to be trained by someone of your caliber and experience, who was willing to share “everything you know, do, and use” with me. I would highly recommend you to anyone wanting to teach children’s etiquette! ~ Sandra E. Etiquette Consultant 2014
Lisa went above and beyond what she promised to deliver. Her enthusiasm she shares for my business is very reassuring. I have found a life long mentor. ~ Michele W. Etiquette Consultant 2016